Tuesday 21 July 2009

I hate the rock fairy

I've been spending a lot of time pick-axeing a new section of a flower bed I've been developing. You can see here how far I have got. It's boring work, the ground is rock-hard due to lack of rain, and so I decided to do something else for a while.... Something easier, something quick, something to give me a sense of satisfaction, of a task completed in a few short hours or perhaps a couple of days.

There is a heap of stones that has been annoying me in the garden, so for a bit of light relief, I decided to get rid of it. It used to support a statue I think, but it's no use to me, and I can use the stones in it to extend my dry stone wall. And since, I thought, it's just a heap of stones, I should be able to shift it in a day or so. I figured without the badass rock fairies.





The thing looks like a dry stone construction, but that's just a rock fairy trick. At the centre, they have stuck the whole lot together with concrete. Great big dollops of it.

So I have spent two days on it with a slegehammer so far, and I think I have about 4 more to go. And since it now looks spectacularly ugly, I've got to finish it so the garden can start to look normal again.

What do rock fairies like?

4 comments:

Tim Trent said...

Be very careful in your dealings with the Rock Fairies! The Chief of All the Rock Fairies was a consultant to the government of France for the construction of the Maginot Line. Such a pity that she didn't understand about Belgium either!

This rocky outcrop is the entrance door to the anomaly found by your surveyors. It's a relic of those militaristic days.

Concreted shut when it fell into disuse, there is a series of tunnels under your property inhabited by the descendants of the CRF (as she is known for short).

In this mysterious world, long disarmed, and, frankly, useless in your area anyway (what were they thinking?), the Rock Fairies plan for the future glory of France. They hanker after headier days, where, as is said in Gilbert and Sullivan's Iolanthe, the entire world will say, as did the UK's House of Lords....

"We're all Fairies now!"

mondraussie said...

that looks like harder work than installing a new kitchen! good luck!

Jonathan said...

See all those lovely stones you've laid out along the side of the road? Well, the only way to appease the Chief of All the Rock Fairies is to paint them all white. I saw it done when I was in the cadets. Works every time. Now it just so happens I have a bucket of whitewash spare you can have for a few bob...

Mark In Mayenne said...

Now I hadn't thought of whitewashing their walls for them.... good idea! Are you sure they like white, though?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...