Friday 28 January 2011

Tree management

I don't especially like cutting down trees, but sometimes you have to. It's about removing dead wood, giving the trees that remain air and light, and ensuring good growth for the future.

You need a good chain saw, and Jean-Claude doesn't mess about: he has three, a small one, a medium and a large one. I asked him if I could borrow his big one, and he said no, but he offered to come round and cut the trees himself, which he did the other day.

The big Walnut is now free from its entanglement with the Mirabelle trees, the remaining older Mirabelles are healthy, and the saplings have room to grow. And I have a stack of wood to dry out for heating in a couple of Winter's time.



















I think a poem's not as good
As half a ton of well-stacked wood.

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I used to enjoy 'cleaning up' the trees, letting in light, etc., but climbing up ladders with the chainsaw was getting beyond me by the time we moved.

The bike shed said...

I have two very large conifers to take down - so if you're passing sometime?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...