Saturday 29 April 2017

No bamboo

What I hope was the last frost of the season was last night.  It managed to do some damage to my potatoes, but not too much.

I figure that now it's safe to plant out some of the tender plants, so I set about making some supports for the runner beans.  Failing to find any good straight plant stakes of the right length (at least two-and-a-half metres) I set off to the local garden centre to get some cheap bamboo stakes.  Except they don't have any.  They could flog me some nice, green, plastic-covered metal ones of the right length for a bit over four euros each.  No thanks.

Back to the drawing board, and I raided the hazelnut trees for a few of their longer branches.  Not as straight as bamboo, but functional, and they add a bit of rustic charm to the garden.  And they're free.  Should have thought of that in the first place, I guess.


3 comments:

CherryPie said...

I like the rustic charm of the hazelnut branches. I think they look far better than bamboo stakes :-)

Helen Devries said...

What are the dates of the Ice Saints in your part of France?

Mark In Mayenne said...

I don't know Helen, I'll have to ask around the locals.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...