Saturday 30 December 2017

At home

What to do at home?   By which I mean, what is the leisure activity that you do when you have the time and space to do it properly, with all your concentration, at home?  For me, it's music, either playing or listening, and the financial investments I have made in my stereo and its music collection, and my flute and sheet music over the years reflect this preference.

For my brother-in-law, his leisure activity is playing computer games, specifically driving simulators.  We have played football simulators and other game types over the years but it's driving simulators that capture his imagination.  So now that he has done all the house improvements and other DIY projects that need doing, he has invested in a proper driving simulator.  It mimicks a racing car cockpit complete with stick or paddle gear shifts, pedals, sound and vibration effects, etc.

He has done the "career path", starting on go-carts and progressing to formula 1.

I tried it, it's good, not that I'm competent on it.


5 comments:

helen devries said...

I read while my eyes wil still let me.
I tried a driving simulator once....did my blood pressure no good at all..

James Higham said...

Write a book of your life?

Mark In Mayenne said...

I await yours with interest

Amfortas said...

I fly a simulator which was given to me by a 'guest' (I used to take in homeless chaps until they got back on their feet). It has dozens of aircraft to learn to fly.... and then fly well: and 20,000 odd airfields from major Internationals to tiny club and farm strips.

I have 'favourite' planes. My Bombardier CRJ700; my Learjet; my Jet Ranger chopper: my Grumman Goose ( like 'lake-work'): my 747; and for late at night interceptions of passenger planes, my F18.

Learning to fly and convert to type takes effort - all intellectual, mind you - and I do not have a moveable seat, so I get just the 'brain' work and not the physical sensation. I have developed some pretty quick maths skill and redicovered the schoolboy love of geography I thought I had lost.

Mark In Mayenne said...

Hi Amfortas,
My BiL also has his favourite cars that he knows well, and can drive quickly. He has his favourite tracks too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...