Wednesday 7 March 2018

Vinho verde

When your wine has stopped fermenting, you have to rack it off into another demijohn to get it off the yeast.  Dead yeast decays and will give a strange flavour to the wine if you don't. 

So I did, and at the same time I topped it up with a little water that had been boiled in the kettle, and added a little sugar.  The wine promptly turned a green colour, rather like pea soup.

However it did eventually clear into a pale yellow pee-colour, and this I then transferred to bottles, where, according to the instructions, you  have to leave it for a year before drinking it.  I have to admit that I tried a bit.  I hope that ageing improves it.


4 comments:

Helen Devries said...

Still have the enamel on your teeth?

Mark In Mayenne said...

It's a near thing, Helen. I think it cured my cold, however.

Anonymous said...

Real vinho verde from Portugal is lovely!

Lisboeta

Mark In Mayenne said...

Yes, Lisboeta, it is. I had some on Madeira. The blog title was a wink towards the fact that my wine turned green.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...