Friday 21 July 2017

The harvesting of potatoes

This is the first year that I have had a serious attempt at growing potatoes.  I grew a few last year, just to see what would happen, and found it very satisfying digging up and eating the spuds at the end of the season.  I had decided not to grow ones that you can easily buy in the shops, and chose the variety called Miss Blush.    It has a blotchy pink and white skin, and tastes excellent, especially in salads.

This year I gave over much more space to potatoes, and have been digging up several of the varieties I planted in the Spring.  It's a bit early to be doing this, but the foliage had died back on these plants, and didn't look like it was going to add anything to the potatoes in the ground.  I think perhaps I didn't water them enough during the recent dry spell - other potato plants that the watering system reaches better are still growing strongly.


I have tried a few of this year's crop, and they taste good.  Varieties are Miss Blush, Franceline (it has pink skin), Institute de Beauvais (Pitted skin with white flesh, makes big potatoes) and Pink Fir Apple (Knobbly, with pink flesh).  The Miss Blush I saved over from last year's crop, but I don't think I will bother saving any this year, I'll just buy in new seed potatoes at the right time.  I found that the saved ones sprouted too early, so I had to plant them out, and then I fretted about the risk of frosts killing them.

I'll definitely make more of an effort to water them next year too.  The difference between the well-watered and not-so-well-watered is quite clear.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Top tip.
When harvesting re-plant straight away with the just harvested spud. I know I know it makes 'no sense' but it works. Simply mulch with whatever is to hand and keep the mulch covering topped up through the winter.
Give it a go on a bed to test it out.
Oh and that 'never grow potatoes in the same place as they get disease' tis a myth.

Have a look at this chaps methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPPUmStKQ4

CherryPie said...

They sound delicious.

I say with any plant you want to nourish, keep it watered and fed.

Yhe Cristy said...

Mayenne, Found you via Pinterest. Glad I learn new knowledge about growing potatoes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...