I'm getting the veg patch ready for this year's plants. Today I built the bean frame for the climbing beans, with bamboo poles given to me by Leo. The tomato stakes are in, although the tomatoes are only at the two leaf stage. I have decided to try out the idea of watering them by using plastic bottles with holes in, buried in the ground next to the plants. Porous terra cotta pots are in favour at the moment, as a water saving device, but they're way too expensive relative to the value of veg that they water. The plastic pots are free.
There is manure on the bed next to the tomato bed; this area is for brassicas and I will need to rotovate the compost in before I plant them out.
I have mowed the grass area next to the veg patch, but I read that dandelions are one of the bee's most valuable sources of food at this time of year so I have carefully avoided mowing them.