With the increasing tendency to suffer drought in Summer, I have installed a system of semi-automatic watering in the veg patch. It comprises ordinary garden hose (the most expensive part of the project) to distribute the water, into which are screwed at intervals, little nozzles that spray the water out. It seems to be very effective.
The initial design had hoses placed along the middle of the raised beds, with red nozzles that spray water through 360°. This system has the disavantage that, with the hose loosely stapled in place, it's difficult to hoe underneath it, so I ended up with a line of weeds down the middle of the bed. I am experimenting this year with (green) nozzles that spray out through 180°, and mounting the hose on the wooden sides of the beds.
In other gripping news, the tomatoes are growing strongly, they are now covered in flowers, but I might have planted them a bit too close together: it could be difficult to harvest the tomatoes that grow in the middle of this thicket. The squash plants are also doing very well, with one immature fruit setting already.
I did shallots again this year and they're looking good, but my red onion sets I think I might have planted too early because they are all running to seed. I guess I'll harvest it and grow from seed next year.
I tried florence fennel for the first time, just a short row of it, and that is looking good. And the Zinnas for no other reason than that I like the flowers.