Thursday 3 September 2020

The Fig Tree

Some time ago I looked at buying a fig tree, but at 50 euros I thought they were a bit dear.   So I got some cuttings from a fellow flute player and tried to grow the trees from them.   I discovered that they don't always root, and when they do, they might not survive the Winter.

For this tree, I took a cutting in the Springtime and rooted it, kept it indoors in a pot over the first Winter, then planted it out the following Spring.   I put it in what should be a sheltered position against a wall,   and covered it carefully for its first Winter outdoors, and it survived.

The figs are delicious, best eaten when fat and squishy, straight off the tree.

 

(I ate the ripe one at the back just after I took this photo)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...