Wednesday 28 October 2020

Lockdown project

It looks like France is going into another lockdown, as we reap the rewards of our beloved leaders' past underinvestment in intensive care facilities and/or a territorial army of trained volunteer medical personnel.   So I thought I had better go out today and buy the materials I need for my next project, because I might not be able to go and get them tomorrow.

I started the veg patch some ten years ago, by making a raised bed out of some wood I had lying around.   The wood was rotting a bit already, so I didn't take any special anti-rot measures; I just made it into a rectangle and put it on the ground.   The current problem isn't due to the wood rotting, it's because I put the second raised bed too close to it.   I didn't want to waste good agricultural ground on a wider path between them.

This was a mistake.   I could just about walk along the gap, but it wasn't wide enough for the mower, nor even for the strimmer, so I had to use small shears to cut down the inevitable weeds that came up.  So I've decided to do something about it.   

Anita's idea, to minimise the work, was to widen the gap by making the original bed narrower.  I tried to do this, but the wood was so decayed that the whole thing fell apart.  There was nothing for it but to replace it, and move it about 9 extra inches away from its neighbour.   Hence a trip to the garden centre this morning.

I have moved most of the earth to allow the new wooden frame to be placed correctly.  Then I can add the compost as needed, and the bed will be ready for next year's crop that will be, according to the crop rotation plan, potatoes.

Next step will be anti-rot treatment of the wood I bought this morning.




6 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

You will have to leave a very wide gap if you want to get your ride-on mower through. Or do you have a smaller mower for this area?

Mark In Mayenne said...

Hi Mark, I have a small walk-behind mower, and a strimmer in case that doesn't fit

James Higham said...

Backbreaking work. Well done.

CherryPie said...

Getting project supplies before lockdown is a good plan :-)

Mark Wadsworth said...

You really do have a mower for every situation!

Mark In Mayenne said...

Mark, I do have many mowers. I have the ride-on that is the workhorse. I have the walk-behind that I got for when the old Husqvarna was broken down and waiting for a part (this used to happen when the grass was growing like topsy, and the parts would always take at least 3 weeks to get here). The strimmer is because I have lots of rocks here that edge the lawns and that wreak havoc on the other mowers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...