Sunday 28 November 2021

Can you dig it?

I suppose that little phrase dates me....

The ground at our place is stony.   Actually, it's rocky rather than stony.  The earth is good, nutritious, somewhat clay, but full of rocks.   They vary in size from fist-sized on up, and if I want to bring a new area into cultivation, I have to get the rocks out first.

Cue friends from up the road, and one in particular, who owns the digger shown below.  He's been over the areas I need, shovelling up the rocks to free them from the soil.  I followed the digger around, taking the newly-exposed rocks off the surface, and am now going over the areas with a fork to get the ones that are still buried.  Now that the soil has been loosened, it's a lot easier than using a pick-axe, which is what I was doing before.

I am using the rocks to build a wall.  I have the feeling I might run out of space for the wall before I run out of rocks.



1 comment:

James Higham said...

The work never ends. Still, it gets you out of the house and keeps you off the streets. 😁

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...