Monday 20 February 2023

Peas on earth

I decided to try growing some peas this year.   I have found that planting such seeds as mice enjoy (peas, broad beans, etc) tends to result in them being eaten before they get a chance to germinate.  For peas in this situation, I read that the thing to do is to plant them in guttering, let them germinate under cover, and then slide the resulting plants off the guttering and into their place on the veg patch, a bit later on.

I never managed to find bog-standard, half-round, plastic guttering in France.   Perhaps it exists but I never found it.   However, I was given a couple of lengths complete with end caps, a few days ago.  Cool.

I drilled some holes in the plastic for drainage.   I'm hoping it's not a crime to inflict GBH on innocent building materials.   I fitted the end caps, and filled it with compost, a mix of shop-bought potting compost and sieved soil from the compost heap.   Then planted the peas.


Fingers crossed.


1 comment:

Ian said...

Its the best way to grow peas, like you I get mice if planted in ground. When its time to plant out I give peas a good soaking in gutter, I slide out short sections (about a foot) rather than trying to slide the whole lot out which has never worked for me. I don't drill holes for drainage in my gutter, never needed it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...