Thursday 8 February 2024

Beer

La Bierre is a song by Jaques Brel, that I am trying to learn on the accordion.   It's not easy.   By happy coincidence, I am also trying to brew some beer, that will likely lead to more satisfactory results, and quicker too.

I'm using a beer kit that I bought in England.  For a modest outlay in hardware you can get all the equipment, and the ingredients you can buy in a tin.   The quality of the result is entirley down to how well one follows the instructions.

I have to admit that mine took a bit longer to finish fermenting than the instructions led me to believe, but that might have something to do with the fact that I didn't actually open the tin until a couple of weeks past its "best by" date.  Mea culpa.


Given that the resulting beer doesn't cost much as these things go, (Pie and a pint for 15 quid??) I'm sure it won't be long before the government starts taxing the ingredients on health or some other grounds.

And talking of governments, I see the first chipping away at the use of burning wood for heating has started.   Strictly controlled in some areas of France, plus a news item on TF1 explaining how wood smoke increases risks of cancer.   Can't have the plebs getting cheap energy now, can we?   And did you know that growing your vegetables contributes to global warming, according to the Wonderfully Egotistical F**kers?

2 comments:

James Higham said...

Looks wonderful there, that beer … or is it ale?

Scrobs. said...

You're a man after my own heart, Mark!

Brewing one's own beer is a hugely satisfying pastime, and you will be sure to enjoy the consequences!

We've been making our own elderberry wine since around 1974, and also made gallons of beer, until I sadly decided that the increase in space and equipment - and my waistline, was something I should be more aware of!

The last lot of ale I made seemed to have 'stuck', so I aded some wine yeast to buck it up and 'WOW', did that make one hell of a difference! It was lethal, and utterly fabulous!

Good luck with your Ram's Brewery concoction!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...