Saturday 27 July 2024

Pickled Shallots

I have a good harvest of shallots this year.   It's probably because I planted loads.   To tell the truth, I bought, at the garden centre, as many as I thought I would need, but then I saw a bargain pack at Lidl for only €2 so I bought that as well.   We decided that the best thing to do with them would be to pickle at least some of them.


Sprinkle them with salt, cover and leave overnight to draw the excess water out.   Create a pickling sauce with a mixture of wine, apple, malt vinegars, add spices and leave to steep overnight.   Sterilise the jars, letting them cool before you fill them, then stuff them with the shallots and top up with the sauce.   Leave to mature for several weeks, eat within a year.




2 comments:

James Higham said...

Your Lady of Shallot is going to love those, Mark.

CherryPie said...

They look tasty :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...