Sunday 4 October 2009

The Mayenne at Montflours

The wife is away at the moment, so I can go anywhere the wind takes me, and today it took me to a section of the Mayenne river, just north of Montflours.




The bridge over the Mayenne at Montflours















Maintenance work is being done on the river at the moment; it happens every three years. One year they work on the Mayenne, then the Sarthe, then they skip a year. They maintain the banks, the locks and the mini-hydro-electric generators. They drain the rivers by opening the sluice gates, and you can see in these pictures how this affects the water levels. There is normally a good couple of metres of water here.
























And the autumn colours are starting to show in the trees now....

5 comments:

ReedBunting said...

It seems quite drastic to drain the rivers like that. You're so lucky to have such lovely walks nearby though, I wish I was there!

Lia said...

I guess there are worse things a man can get up to while a wife is away,lol.

How nice to see that rivers are being managed and looked after, there's a lesson there for all countries to learn from.

My understanding of this river is that it is a generally very healthy river, perhaps it's cos they do look after it.

Thanks for your kind comments on my web site.

Much love (& stay out of trouble ha ha)
Lia
xx

@eloh said...

Great pictures! These are the kind of things I read blogs for...take me there...

I can't travel the world anymore but with pictures and your words, it was almost like being there.

Jonathan said...

Agreed. Either you have an amazing eye for a picture or you live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Or perhaps both are true.

btw: any update on the dam-removal scheme to increase the flow-rate?

Mark In Mayenne said...

Thank you all for your most kind comments, they encourage me to continue.

No further news on the dam-removal scheme, Jonathan, but I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

Eloh, did you get my further pictures of the caves?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...