Sunday 23 May 2021

Wood chips with everything

A good proportion of our man-hours of garden maintenance is spent weeding the flower beds.    Experience has taught us that a good, thick covering of chippings of wood or (better) pine bark almost eliminates the need to weed for about 5 years.

I used to buy pine bark chippings in bulk from our local garden centre but they have stopped selling them, so I have resorted to wood chippings when I can get them.   I saw an ad on fessebook from a farmer not too far away who was selling them in bulk, so I ordered 15 cubic metres, to be enough for the flower bed that most needed it.  They arrived yesterday.

I had put down tarpaulins to keep the wood off the gravel, but my estimate of the space needed was too low, so the chips have overflowed somewhat.  I will need to do some tidying up after the chips are distributed.  But the main job for the next day or so is to shovel them all into a wheelbarrow and spread them out where they will be useful.




2 comments:

CherryPie said...

I could do with some wood cuttings to hold back the weeds in my garden. It backs on to a bridle path which is rustic.

The bike shed said...

That's one impressive pile. Rather you than me with the wheelbarrow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...