Sunday 6 March 2022

The cold frame

My vegetable garden lacks a cold frame.  These mini-greenhouses are useful for acclimatising seedlings to the outside world, or for growing heat-loving plants such as melons, that don't grow too tall.   I decided to make one, using materials to hand.  There are plenty of stones around to build the sides in stone, and I had a couple of corrugated plastic sheets that I used to use as cloches.   I am building it against a south-facing stone wall that I hope will help keep the heat overnight.


I think my woodwork teacher would be appalled at the mess I made of the mortice and tenon joints in the wooden frame for the plastic sheets.  But plenty of white glue and they hold together.   The stone wall's not that pretty either.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...