Wednesday 13 September 2023

Winter squash

The hot dry spell has ended, and it's raining.   I have mature winter squash in the garden, and they risk splitting if the plant absorbs too much water, so I have to harvest them, at least the ripe ones.

I had quite given up on the possibility of getting any Butternut squash this year.   I thought that the mice had eaten all of the seeds I had planted.   But I stumbled across this enormous one today, and a couple more not yet ripe.   The orange Kuri squash plants are always very vigorous and productive, and I have left several more fruits in the garden to ripen.   The green and yellow striped ones are called "Honeyboat" and are quite sweet to eat.

I also have ripening some Musqé de Provence squash.   I never quite know how to look after those.  I have two enormous fruits ripening, (14 inches diameter) and some smaller unripe ones growing.   I find that the ripening fruits can wither and die, even when they are 6 inches across or bigger.  I am hoping that the big fruits have gone past that stage.

5 comments:

Timbotoo said...

That’s a well used wheelbarrow if ever I saw one.

Mark In Mayenne said...

Timbo, yep, it's my rock-carrying barrow, I also mix concrete in it. It has seen a lot of abuse. I have a new one for jobs that are unlikely to wreck barrows.

CherryPie said...

A colourful and tasty looking harvest.

James Higham said...

This farming, Mark, is a neverending business around the calendar year.

Scrobs. said...

They look fabulous, Mark!

They should store well too, if you have the right place to keep them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...