Saturday 6 February 2021

Gate down

We had some storms here last week and I noticed that the bottom gate has been damaged.  It's hinged to a post at one end and chained to a post at the other.  Both posts had rotted and had been wrenched from the ground.   Time to get some new posts and some concrete.    I went down to our local garden centre to see what they had.   What they had was a sale on.

A pretty good sale it was, too.  Things normally marked at 40 euros were down to 15.  I bought some tools, some plant pots, a whitecurrant plant (like a blackcurrant but white fruits) (not on sale) and a pair of walking boots.  Oh and I did remember the posts and concrete.

My old walking boots had shed a sole recently and close inspection showed that the other sole was detatching, so I took them to the cobbler in Evron.   He glued them back on but said that fixing the  rubber sole to the plastic underside of the boot, was difficult, and that if they detatched again he would re-glue them (for free).  They did and he did, but perhaps it was time for a new pair.

I remember buying the old ones in a sports shop; they were instantly comfortable, so I got them even though they were quite expensive - about €75 if I remember rightly.   The new ones at the garden centre were on sale at €24, and equally comfortable.   It turns out that they're by the same manufacturer, and almost identical in design.  The old ones have lasted ten years, and if they fail again I'll try using transparent anti-leak mastic to stick them back together myself in a last-ditch effort to save them. In any case, I hope the new ones will do as well.




1 comment:

CherryPie said...

I love that you were able to get a bargain walking boot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...