Wednesday 11 August 2021

Garden work

A task that has been nagging at me for some time (that is, for a few years), is the filling in of the gap behind a dry stone wall in the garden.   The wall (mostly) holds back the soil that is at a higher level, and  I figured it would take 3 or 4 metres cubed of topsoil to fill in the gap and bring it up to the level of the rest of the grass behind.   

I have been scouting around for topsoil, but Leo told me that our local waste recycling depot (déchetterie) is offering compost, free, once per month, in quantities of up to a cubic metre to anyone who wants to come and get it.   We went to get some.

It's black, smells a bit of being burnt, or perhaps of disinfectant, but looks to be good.  I came back with a trailer load and spent this afternoon transferring it into the gap.   The picture doesn't show the size or depth of the gap very well, but it is about half filled now, and so hopefully, next month and another cubic metre will see it sorted.

I have planted grass seed on the part that is at the right level, and that will tell me a lot about the compost as I watch it germinate and grow.

1 comment:

James Higham said...

Keep up the good work. Next job?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...