Friday 25 February 2022

Parsnips

The mild Winter has meant that the biennial veggies are already starting to grow again.   In my case that means that the parsnips and the beetroot were both sprouting new growth.   Time to deal with them.

I like to keep the seed from my veggies.  They always make far more than I need, which means that I have plenty to waste if needs be.  Disasters can occur: slug invasion, weed infestation, cold snap death and so on, so it's good to have seed in reserve.   Also the amount you get in seed packets these days is derisory, so planting densely and then thinning out seems wasteful, but when you have lots, it's not a problem.

I dug up all the remaining parsnips and beetroot this morning.   Beautiful day, clear blue skies and warm once the frost melted.  The beetroot and the biggest parsnips I transplanted into a reserved seeding area, where I hope they will grow and flower.  I kept the smaller parsnips for eating; the big ones can be woody.

This time of year, the parsnips are exraordinarily sweet, and Anita does a grand job of preparing them.  I'm looking foward.

Just to keep on top of things, this afternoon I took the mower over the grass, then changed its oil.

2 comments:

James Higham said...

I love these new headerless posts.

Bill Sticker said...

Parsnips roasted in a light coating of Olive Oil then dressed in butter with a smattering of fresh Rosemary. Delicious with the Sunday roast.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...