Sunday 24 November 2019

None of the above

First, a confession:  I didn't vote in the Brexit referendum.  There.  But I have been happy with the result - the vote was for an exit from the EU.  I have been dismayed by all the prevarications that have gone on since, as politicians and civil servants of every hue try to thwart the outcome.  So I made the effort to apply for a postal vote in the upcoming elections, to make my position clear by using my vote.  I got my ballot papers yesterday, and there is no brexit candidate.

There's the lib dems, who want a second referendum on the negotiated deal.  The problem with that is that Boris's surrender document is even worse that May's, so remaining would be better than leaving.  In the event of a referendum to take the current agreement or remain, I'd have to vote remain.  So I can't vote for a candidate for a party that would want to overturn the will of the people in this underhand way.   My cynical nature tells me that in the event of a second referendum,  they'd probably try to split the leave vote in order to declare a victory for remain.

There's the greens, who want to plant trees and reduce pollution.  These are good aims in themselves, of course, (I planted some trees yesterday) but are irrelevant to this election.

There's Labour, but Corbyn as PM is a nightmare I prefer not to dwell on.

The tory candidate seems to be a good guy, intelligent and well-educated by all evidence, with a senior rôle in government.   He would normally get my vote. But he has supported Boris's deal at all points, and it's exactly that deal that is the problem.

There is no Brexit candidate, so I am unable to vote for what I want.  This reminds me of the elections in Communist Russia, where all the candidates just happen to be communist.


5 comments:

helen devries said...

I can remember John Ward - the Slog - commenting that despite the result the U.K. would not be allowed to leave. Looks as if he was right.
I just wish Corbyn had been able - or willing - to strip out the weasel M.P.s of the PLP...we might have had a viable Leave programme in place had he done so.

Mark In Mayenne said...

Yes, Helen, I also follow John Ward, and I agree that what we are seeing is GB not being allowed to leave.

CherryPie said...

The real issue at stake is democracy versus autocracy...

A democratic vote chose on balance chose in favor of leave!

I believe in democracy and I will vote for my candidate that upholds the same view.

I have never voted for a political party...

ShinyNewThing said...

Not wishing to start a flame war, but it wasn't the will of 'the people', it was only the will of just over half of the people. The slightly less than half who have the opposing view seem to be continually overlooked. And it seems pretty obvious now that a lot of people would have voted differently had they been better informed (and had they known where we would end up at this point)

Mark In Mayenne said...

Hi Shiny, I doubt that this blog has enough readers for a flame war, probably just a flicker, perhaps match-sized, or teacup-storm.

The vote wasn't even the will of just over half the people, since only around 70% voted at all. It was however, the desire that was expressed against the promise that the majority vote would be respected. This kind of voting system can always be criticised, after all when was the last time that the elected government got more than half the votes?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...