Friday 22 April 2022

Free firewood

Our mayor phoned me several months ago and asked me if I wanted some free firewood.   There were some dead oak trees on communal territory, and he was planning to have them cut down.   The wood would be divided amongst residents and did I want some?   The only requirement was that I cut it up and take it away.   I said "yes".

It was only recently that they were cut down, but now I am the proud owner of two dead oak trees that are just about accessible by the Renault Espace pulling the trailer.  One tree is at the top of a hill, the other is halfway down it.    The dirt track giving access is steep, narrow and edged by a precipice.  Anita doesn't like it, but she does let me drive the car up it with her inside.  Just.

A new chain saw blade, frequently sharpened, was needed to do the cutting of the long branches, and a big petrol-powered circular saw cuts the into wood-burner-sized lengths.    Then some physical effort involving a wedge and a sledgehammer to split it.   It's remarkably hard work, but it's really good solid firewood.  Enough for an entire winter's heating of the house, I am sure.




1 comment:

James Higham said...

No rest for you, young man!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...