Tuesday 10 March 2020

Garden attention

We're coming around to that time of year when the garden needs a lot of attention.  I've been occupied by a few tasks these recent days.  I have put up a trellis on the front of the wood store, planted some seeds, and chopped down a few trees.

My friend Leo up the road gave me a climbing plant, a red-flowered Jasmine, some time ago and I planted it in front of the wood store with a view to training it up the side.  It has spread along the ground by the end of the house, but not much along the front of the wood store, so I decided it was time to take action.

There were some wooden trellis panels going cheap up the local supermarket so I bought some, and with Anita's help, attached them on to the wall.  They're not especially strong, so I supported their horizontal members on blocks of thicker wood.  (2 top, 2 bottom)  We then transplanted some of the Jasmine in front of it, and tied it on.



Meanwhile, it's time to think about seed planting.  I've planted some onions, leeks and echallions, that are tolerant of mild frosts so if I run out of space I can put them outside.  I also planted some sweet peppers that will stay indoors until the frosts are over.   To follow will be the more tender things like tomatoes, and so on.   Beans and squash I will plant directly into the soil.  

It's nice to see the onions germinating - these are seeds I collected from the red onions that ran to seed last year.   Hoping for better results this time around.



1 comment:

James Higham said...

It does seem a never ending task and yet the results are worth it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...