Thursday 19 March 2020

Garden development

It's at this time that I try to put the garden into shape for the rest of the year.  I have been working on the veg patch today.

The first task is a new raised bed to add to the existing ones.  I have always found it difficult to maintain a large area of veggies, but by dividing it into well-defined smaller beds, I find I can manage things better.  It's probably psychological.

The wood for the frame needs to be protected from rot, so I paint it with two coats of a tar-based preservative paint.  This seems to have worked well on the previous installations, and I had some of the paint left over from last year.  I had to add white spirit to get it to soften up, but once I did that, there was enough for two coats.  The frame is now ready to assemble and put out.


I also bought these smaller frames in kit form when a local garden centre was shutting down.  I wouldn't normally buy anything like this - the wood is a bit feeble, and the frame usually retails at about €25, if I remember correctly.  I figure that I could knock up a better one myself for the price of the wood.   These ones were under a tenner each on sale, so I bought the remaining stock of two.   They've been in the conservatory annoying Anita all Winter, so it was time to assemble them and put them outside.


I added rough compost from the heap, and then covered it with a thinner layer of sieved compost to make a good surface for seedlings.

I will use them this year as a nursery bed for onions and leeks.   It used to be that I could plant onions in a seed tray and transplant them to their final positions once they got to about pencil thickness.  I don't know what they put in French compost, or rather what they don't, because the onions just don't grow that big in it.   So I figure to put them in a holding bed once they have germinated, and then I will plant them in their final homes a bit later.

Later on in the year I might use them as a bed for climbing beans, by putting some form of bean tent on top.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...